Advanced Systems Design VI
VLADIMIR OVOD, Ph.D. Expertise
M.S. in electrical engineering. M.S. thesis “Suppression of bulk waves in RF band-pass filters based on surface acoustic waves (SAW) propagation”.
With Honor: GPA 4.0 from 4.0.
Ph.D. in electro optical engineering. Ph.D. thesis “Design, simulation, modeling and metrological improvement of Laser Particle Size Analyzers”.
GPA 4.0 from 4.0.
Note: The research and development results relate to LADARs for detection, tracking, recognition, sizing, characterization, and velocimetry of micro-targets.
Honors and Awards: Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship (University of Bremen, Germany)
- Developed mathematical models, algorithms and software for improvement of performances of electro-optical systems with two coherent laser
beams for applications in controlling of diverse production lines.
Note: The below patents relate to Radiometry-based multi-target detection (LIDAR as Advanced Doctor Assistance System (ADAS) for patient safety); SW
with control algorithms implemented in a broad spectrum of Karl Storz Imaging products.
at Karl Storz Imaging, Inc., Goleta, CA
1. V. Ovod. USA Patent US # 8,878,920B2, "Method and Apparatus for Protection from High Intensity Light". Granted on Nov. 4, 2014.
2. V. Ovod. Japanese Patent JP # 5745469B2. Granted on July 8, 2015.
3. V. Ovod. European Patent EP # 2547093B1. Granted on April 4, 2016. (PDF in English), (in German), (in French)
4. V. Ovod. Canadian Patent CA # 277974C. Granted on April 26, 2016. (in French)
5. V. Ovod. German Patent DE # 60 2012 017 561.3. Granted on June 16, 2016. "Verfahren und Vorrichtung zum Schutz vor Licht hoher Intensität"
6. V. Ovod. US # 20150116470A1, “Method and Apparatus for Controlling Light Output Intensity and Protection from High Intensity Light”. Pending:
submitted on April 30, 2015.
NIGHT VISION: Focal Pane Arrays (FPA), Infra-Red (IR) foveal/variable acuity sensors; FPGA-based Algorithms and Processing for Target Detection
at Nova Sensors, Solvang, CA
1. V. I. Ovod, C. R. Baxter, M. A. Massie, N. I. Rummelt, P. L. McCarley, “FPGA-based processor for high frame-rate target detection on cluttered
backgrounds using LVASI™ sensors”, Proc. SPIE Vol. 6206, pp.633-644, SPIE Defense and Security Symposium, Orlando, FL., 2006.
2. V. I. Ovod, C. R. Baxter, M. A. Massie, P. L. McCarley, “Advanced image processing package for FPGA-based re-programmablle miniature
electronics”, Proc. SPIE Vol. 5783, pp. 304-315, SPIE Aerosense Infrared Technology and Applications XXXI, Orlando, FL., 2005.
3. J. T. Caulfield, V. I. Ovod, R. A. Coussa, C. R. Baxter, M. A. Massie, “Advanced on FPA and near FPA image processing for infrared sensors”, Proc.
SPIE Vol. 5783, pp. 272-281, SPIE Aerosense Infrared Technology and Applications XXXI, Orlando, FL., 2005.
4. J. Kristl, M. A. Massie, V. I. Ovod, J. P. Curzan, and C. R. Baxter. “Hypertemporal detection of boost phase missiles using VASI sensing and HTI
algorithms”, MD-SEA Conference, Monterey Naval Postgraduate School, Paper E5, November 20, 2003.
ELECTRO-OPTICAL SYSTEMS/SENSORS DESIGN and Laser-based Scientific and Commercial Systems (selected publications).
Subfield: LADARs for detection, tracking, recognition, sizing and velocimetry of micro-targets:
5. V. Ovod, "Modeling of multiple scattering from ensemble of spheres in a laser beam", J. Particle & Particle Systems Characterization, 16, pp. 106-
at Department of Chemistry of UCSB, CA
6. V. Ovod, "Modeling of multiple scattering suppression by a one-beam cross-correlation system", Applied Optics, 37, pp. 7856-7864, 1998.
at Theoretical Physical Chemistry Dept., Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium:
7. V. I. Ovod, D. W. Mackowski, and R. Finsy, "Modeling of the effect of multiple scattering in Photon Correlation Spectroscopy: Plane-wave approach",
Langmuir, 14, pp. 2610-2618, 1998.
at Mechanical Process Engineering Dept., Technical University of Dresden, Germany:
8. V. Ovod, M. Stintz, and E. Heidenreich, "Modified conventional plane-wave scattering approach to estimate performance characteristics of laser
particle-size analyzers", Journal of Modern Optics, 45, pp. 299-314, 1998.
at Particle Sizing Systems, Inc., Santa Barbara, CA:
9. D. F. Nicoli, J. S. Wu, Y. J. Chang, V. I. Ovod, and K. Hasapidis, "Zeta potential analysis of colloidal systems by ELS with combined DLS sizing
capability", International Labmate, pp. 20–22, 1997.
at Process Engineering Dept., Technical University of Bremen, Germany:
10. V. Ovod, "Hydrodynamic focusing of the flow of particles in light scattering counters", J. Particle & Particle Systems Characterization, 12, pp. 207-
11. V. Ovod, T. Wriedt, "Single-multiple scattering technique to simulate a time-dependent signal of a pulse laser radar with separately located
illuminating and receiving platforms", Journal of Modern Optics, 42, No 4, pp. 883-893, 1995. ( )
12. V. Ovod, "Monodispersion of the investigated flow in the sorting unit of particle size optical and electrical analyzer", J. Particle & Particle Systems
Characterization, 12, pp. 42-45, 1995.
13. V. Ovod, T. Wriedt, K. Bauckhage, V.M. Zemljansky, "Technique to increase the computation accuracy of the scattered electromagnetic field in the
simulation of the Phase-Doppler size analyzer", in 10th Annual Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics Conference (Terzuoli, A.,
ed), pp. 343-352, 1994 ACES Conference, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA.
14. V. Ovod, T. Wriedt, "Multiple scattering technique in the simulation of a Phase Doppler Analyzer", in PARTEC-95 Proc., 4th International Congress
Optical Particle Sizing, , pp. 473-482, Nuernberg, Germany, 21-23 March, 1995.
For more technical papers published in Laser-based scientific and commercial instrumentation, refer to Springer
link ( www.link.springer.com/search?facet-creator=%22V.+I.+Ovod%22 )
Advanced Systems Design VI